I can’t believe how fast summer went by and that it’s already time to think about Thanksgiving! I love everything about summer, but there’s just something about cooler weather, warm sweaters and a comforting meal that I love.
I whipped up a quick and easy Thanksgiving-style feast for me and the girls the other week with products all from
Dollar General, and I had to show how fun it all turned out!
Extra Creamy Macaroni and Cheese
First up, I made some macaroni and cheese using the Velveeta Original Loaf from Dollar General! The Velveeta Original Loaf is made from aged natural cheddar cheese and I love using it for this recipe because the macaroni and cheese comes together so quickly and it’s SO creamy! Once you try this, you won’t go back to your regular macaroni and cheese recipe!
1. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter and add the flour in slowly, stirring to create a roux.
2. Then, slowly pour in the milk until it thickens and simmers.
3. Add in the onion powder, dry mustard powder and Velveeta Original Loaf and stir until melted.
4. Stir in the cooked elbow macaroni and mix until combined.
If you want to take this recipe to the next level, top the macaroni and cheese with breadcrumbs and shredded cheddar cheese. Bake at 350* for 10-15 minutes, or until the cheese on top is starting to brown slightly. So yummy!
10 Minute Stove Top Stuffing
I used Stove Top Chicken Stuffing Mix to save some time on my favorite Thanksgiving side dish. Stuffing was my grandfather’s signature recipe, and he would spend days preparing for it by cubing loaves of bread at home and letting them dry out, then chopping all the veggies and mixing in his secret list of ingredients. This Stove Top Stuffing mix—made with herbs, spices and real chicken broth—rivals his with a few tweaks. It makes it taste almost identical to my grandfather’s favorite recipe!
1. Melt the butter in a skillet over medium low heat. Add onions and mushrooms, and saute until the onions are translucent, about 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, prepare the Stove Top Chicken Stuffing Mix according to package instructions.
3. Stir in the mushroom and onion mix to the prepared Stove Top Chicken Stuffing Mix and enjoy!
This stuffing turned out SO tasty—it’s made with herbs, spices and real chicken broth. I love adding the mushrooms and onions, but that’s totally optional! Another tweak would be to add in sauteed celery (my grandfather’s favorite!) or dried cranberries for a savory twist.
My husband LOVES gravy, and I used Heinz HomeStyle Savory Beef Gravy. It’s made with real, savory beef—all you have to do is heat it up in the microwave or on the stovetop and it’s ready to go!
I had so much fun shopping for our meal ingredients at Dollar General. They have a great selection of items, the prices can’t be beat and it’s right near our house, which makes it super easy to run in and grab exactly what we need!
What are your go-to Thanksgiving essentials? I’d love to know, so tell me below!
This post has been sponsored by The Kraft Heinz Company. All thoughts and opinions are my own.